Juror Matt Porter
Curator, the Morris Museum of Art
in Augusta, Georgia
Deadline for Submission: July 5, 2021, 11:59 PM EST
Prizes, including $500 in Cash and Future Show Award
Seeking contemporary art in all media that explores or references LIGHT, which is found all around us, around our planet, and throughout art, nature, literature, science, society, and language as a concept and a construct with many different connotations. Without light there is no color and art would not exist. Work will be juried by guest juror Matt Porter, Curator at the Morris Museum of Art in Augusta, Georgia.
- All artists are invited submit up to three contemporary works in any media exploring or referencing LIGHT by July 5, 2021. All submissions are via this online form. In some cases, additional or different work may be requested for review.
- All works must be submitted via this online entry form: https://forms.gle/Up3Arzi9fff4ajqF8
- Work should have been created within the last two years and not have been shown previously in the Athens area.
- Your entry fee goes to cover the exhibition expenses and to help sustain the gallery, which is a 100% community-supported and 100% volunteer organization, providing a space for artists in Athens for going on 20 years. In recognition of the economic impacts of the pandemic, you may elect to pay either the standard fee of $25 or a reduced fee ranging from $5-$20. ATHICA also welcomes any additional support you wish to offer at this time when our member and local business community is unable to provide their usual support.
- Prizes: Juror’s Pick $300, Exhibition Committee Pick $100, Community Pick $100, Future Show Award.
- ATHICA will refer all sales inquiries directly to the artist, with the request that artists donate 30% of the sale back to ATHICA to help sustain the gallery.
- To enter:
Note: Only those entries with paid entry fees or fee waivers will be considered.
About the Juror
Born in Oshawa, Ontario and raised in Suburban Detroit, Matt Porter received a BFA in Illustration from the College for Creative Studies, Detroit, Michigan and he attended the
Fairmont State University for Graduate Studies in Art Education. Porter’s creative career has led him to work at the Cranbrook Art Museum, Fallingwater, a Frank Llyod Wright home, and the
Morris Museum of Art. While at the Morris Museum of Art, he has successfully organized programs with artists such as Alec Soth, Lonnie Holley, and Eleanor Davis for the Museum’s Art
Now series. He also develops and coordinates public programs intended to connect new audiences and promote diversity, integrity, and quality within the Museum.