Juror Hannah Israel, Professor of Art and the Gallery Director at Columbus State University
Deadline for Submission: July 5, 2020, 11:59 PM EST
Prizes, including $500 in Cash and Future Show Award
Seeking contemporary art in all media that explores or references SPACE, which is found all around us, around our planet, and throughout art, nature, literature, science, society, and language as a concept and a construct with many different connotations. SPACE has become a particular focus in our society with the 2020 pandemic, in which we have become acutely aware of how we function in the world, in our homes, and with each other in terms of space. Work that considers the pandemic experiences of our society as a whole or as an individual is welcome. Work will be juried by guest juror Hannah Israel, Professor of Art and the Gallery Director at Columbus State University.
- All artists are invited submit up to three contemporary works in any media exploring or referencing SPACE by July 5, 2020. All submissions are via this online form. In some cases, additional or different work may be requested for review.
- All works must be submitted via this online entry form: [CLOSED]
- Work should have been created within the last two years and not have been shown previously in the Athens area.
- Your entry fee goes to cover the exhibition expenses and to help sustain the gallery, which is a 100% community-supported and 100% volunteer organization, providing a space for artists in Athens for over 18 years. In recognition of the economic impacts of the pandemic, you may elect to pay either the standard fee of $25 or a reduced fee ranging from $5-$20. ATHICA also welcomes any additional support you wish to offer at this time when our member and local business community is unable to provide their usual support.
- Prizes: Juror’s Pick $300, Exhibition Committee Pick $100, Community Pick $100, Future Show Award.
- ATHICA will refer all sales inquiries directly to the artist, with the request that artists donate 30% of the sale back to ATHICA to help sustain the gallery.
- To enter:
- Complete this form: [CLOSED]
- Submit entry fee payment here: [CLOSED]
Note: Only those entries with paid entry fees or fee waivers will be considered.
About the Juror
Hannah Israel lives and works at Columbus, GA, USA. She received her Masters of Fine Arts in Sculpture at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign. Her work is across various interests including sculpture, installation, video, and mark making. Israel has exhibited her work at The Kentler International Drawing Space NY, White Space Gallery, Atlanta, High Museum of Art, Zuckerman Museum of Art, The Vargas Museum of Art in the Philippines, Museum of Contemporary Art in Honolulu, I-Space in Chicago, the Krannert Art Museum, Simmon Art Center at Bernau University, among others.
She has also curated numerous solo and group exhibition including Methodologies, at the Madelon Arts Gallery, East Stroudsburg University, PA, Beyond the Grid Into the Sublime for the Illges Gallery Columbus State University, Magnetic Landscape at the Columbus Museum, and You Me Us and Them at the W.C. Bradley Co. Museum, GA. Hannah Israel has received the Banff Art Center for Creative and Innovative Residency, Line and Chance Grant at AIR Residency Program, Daedalus Art Grant (NYC), the Creative and Performance Art Fellowship at the University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana, IL and the Artist Fellowship at Cornell University, NY among others. She is currently the 2019 AIR at Blue Heron Preserve.
Her works are in the collections of museums and private collectors. She is currently a Professor of Art and the Gallery Director at Columbus State University in Georgia.