Exhibition: Surround: A Collaborative Installation, on view March 3-March 11, 2018. Curated by Composer Monique Osorio. Featuring the artists A.C. Carter, Kira Hynes, Sara Boden, Margaret Anderson, Jeremy Kiran Fernandes, James David Barsness, Rafael Villanueva, Logan Shirah, Jeremy Raj, and William Danztler.
Surround: An Evening of Performance and Installation, Saturday, March 3, 2018 7-11 PM. Curated by Composer Monique Osorio with additional sponsorship from Ideas for Creative Exploration (ICE).
- Performance Collaborations
- The Clown, with Cooper Holmes and music by Monique Osorio
- Concerto for Beverley with musicians Monique Osorio and Sahada Buckley and costumes by Ajmal Millar
- Dance and Music Performance: Emily Koh and Lisa Yaconelli
- Improv Duo: Killick Hinds (sounds) and Stephanie Pharr (movement)
- Poets: Chris Lott, Polina Yakovleva, Bridget Dooley, Shamala Gallagher, and Paul Cunningham
- Musical Ensembles
- Lambda Celsius, with A.C. Carter
- Moth Sweat, with Rafael Villanueva and Ryder Seigle
- Richard Gumby, with Scott Crossman and Others
- Beverley, featuring Monique Osorio, Sahada Buckley, Gabri Ann Dino, Sydney Doemel, and Courtney McCracken with contributions by Melody Stolpp
- Cult of Riggonia, with Jeremy Raj, William Datzler, and Others
- New Twist on Drag, with Alex Suarez
Surround is part of Beast It: ATHICA’s Experimental Performance and Installation Series taking place March-May 2018. Beast It is supported in part through the generous support of The James E. and Betty J. Huffer Foundation, the Athens Area Arts Council, Flagpole Magazine, and the Georgia Council for the Arts (GCA) through the appropriations of the Georgia General Assembly. GCA also receives support from its partner agency, the National Endowment for the Arts.
About the Curator
Monique Osorio is a fifth year Music Composition and Psychology student at the University of Georgia. She is a classically trained pianist, experimental vocalist, performance artist, and improv musician. Throughout her time in Athens, she has sought to unify the student art environment with that of the vibrant local art scene. Some of her projects have included the annual Hyphenated American (spotlighting the many different types of Americans found in the US) and Loop 10: Confinement Restriction (focusing on collaborations between UGA composition students and local Athens visual artists). Surround will be her culminating effort as a student curator.