2021 ATHICA Members’ Showcase
January 23, 2021 through February 28, 2021
Featuring works by ATHICA Members
Exhibition and Events at ATHICA, Free and Open to All
- Socially-Distanced Opening Reception: Saturday, January 23, 6:00-9:00 PM
- Streaming Zine Event: Thursday, January 28, 2021, 7 PM. “Local Honey” writers and artists share their work; live zine launch. Print edition available in the gallery. Free registration required: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYude-qqjMtGtzeAlbxlBl4DFTJAqmXpzFL
- Streaming Music Night: Thursday, February 18, 7:00 PM. Featuring Annie Leeth, A Good Pleasure, and Klypi. Free tickets required: https://athica-music-feb21.eventbrite.com
- Streaming Invited Speaker: Saturday, February 27, 7:00 PM. Artist and Professor Rodrecas “Drék” Davis on “Miles to Go: Artists Contemplating Revolution & Social Justice.” Facilitated by sculptor and former ATHICA board member Joni Younkins-Herzog. Free registration required: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIocu6rpjMpHtVeeNeNBMbb5SPTKQxGf21-
- Streaming Closing Event: Sunday, February 28, 4:00 PM. Artists’ Roundtable Discussion: Free registration required: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcvceqqpjsuGNaj4pXI7T8r6Ti3BsmJfwhu
During the weeks of January 23, 2021 through February 28, 2021, the work of ATHICA members is featured in this fifth annual members’ showcase. As an all-volunteer and membership-based organization, ATHICA serves as a community hub for artists seeking conversation, collaboration, and a venue for sharing and experiencing contemporary art. The 2020 Members’ Showcase is a prime example of all of these essential components of the arts in Athens.
Open to all 2021 members, the exhibit is self-curated and installed by ATHICA board members and volunteers. The work on exhibit is eclectic and energetic, from artists of all ages and affinities and working in all types of media, including sculpture, photography, painting, and more.
Participating artists include Margaret Agner, Mickey O. Boyd, Claire B. Clements, Robert Clements, Susie Criswell, Melody M. Croft, James Alan Enos, John English, Cody Fortson, Lisa Freeman, Noel Holston, Richard Huston, Dana Jones, Helen Kuykendall, Jason Machen, Reid McCallister, Donna McCavitt, Dave Litz, Rich Panico, Dianne Penny, Mary Porter, Diane Speight, Ronnie Ray Speight, Cynthia Johnston Turner, and Nikki Ward.
ATHICA Director Lauren Fancher observes that “This year’s Members’ Showcase is especially poignant, as ATHICA has made it through 2020 and will be able to stay open through 2021 with assurance. Survival of a small non-profit arts center is a miracle in this pandemic era and we appreciate the membership that makes ATHICA possible as we go into ATHICA’s 20th anniversary in 2021-22. We are also happy to report that our programming is taking us online where we can reach our community at home. We have a great line-up of online events scheduled in conjunction with the Members’ Showcase and hope to see everyone there.”
The 2021 ATHICA Members’ Showcase is sponsored in part by The James E. and Betty J. Huffer Foundation, The Georgia Council for the Arts, and The National Endowment for the Arts.
PRESS RELEASE: ATHICA_PressRelease_Members_Showcase_January2021