ATHICA thrives on the help of local community members. Get involved with ATHICA today to learn about contemporary art, meet creative-minded people, and embark on an easy path toward ATHICA Membership!
For every 25 hours (approximately five shifts) you volunteer, you have the opportunity to choose one of the following:
- Artist/Student/Individual level ATHICA Membership (includes the ability to rent the gallery for a pop-up exhibition or event, subject to availability)
- Discount code for ATHICA exhibition entry fee (e.g., ATHICA’s annual Juried Show)
- Choice of item from ATHICA online shop
An interest in contemporary art is great. Previous art world experience is a plus, but not required. A willingness to learn is a must! Volunteer graphic artists, photographers, videographers, and web savvy types are often needed and welcome.
- Gallery sitting. We need a team of friendly, reliable volunteers to tend to the gallery while exhibitions are on view. In general, a gallery volunteer shift is five hours (1–5pm & 5–9pm on Thursdays, 1–6pm Friday through Sunday) though short shifts can be arranged when necessary. Volunteers will interact with visitors, track admission, and keep the gallery tidy.
- Special events. We have occasional special events throughout the year such as private rental parties, short term pop-up shows, gallery programs, and affiliated off-site events. Volunteers will assist with set-up, clean-up, snacks and refreshments, making change, and other tasks as needed.
- Exhibition installation and de-installation. We install new exhibitions roughly every two months and need volunteers who are handy, thorough, and creative problem solvers to help. Volunteers will gain experience handling art, work with curators to carry out their installation plan, patch and repaint walls, and the like. Prior experience is not necessary, but a willingness to work hard is a must.
- Volunteers can also help out on their own time by distributing show announcements and flyers around Athens.
Internships can be arranged according to the skill set an individual applicant has or wants to strengthen. Intern tasks could include social media coordination, drafting and editing curatorial copy, fundraising, event planning, photography, graphic design, and more. Internships are available on a rolling project basis.
Community service hours can also be arranged.
To apply for a volunteer position, internship, or community service hours, please fill out the following Google Form.
- Applicants interested in an internship may be contacted for a formal resume and letter of intent.
- For community service, please indicate the number of hours you need to serve and by when, what special skills you have, and if you are handy with a mop and bucket!