Programming and Events
ATHICA regularly hosts performances, lectures, workshops, children’s events, curated tours, and more in relation to current exhibitions. The gallery also hosts a variety of community events responding to current issues in the art world and beyond. All events listed below are at ATHICA unless noted otherwise.
- Exhibition Closing Event, 4–6pm, Sunday March 5: Group Poetry Reading MC’d by curator Mike Calway-Fagan
- Postc(art) Night: 6–9pm, Thursday March 16: a letter-writing party featuring artist-made postcards and focusing on funding for the arts
- Opening Reception: Out There! Photographs in the Spirit of Jeremy Ayers. Saturday, March 18, 6–9pm
- Canray Poole with Daniel Nelson: Tree Room and ATHICA joint event. Thursday, March 23, 7:30–9:30pm
- Revolutionary Reading Club, Meeting 1: Slavery And Capitalism. Thursday, March 30, 6–7pm. The Revolutionary Reading Club, created by the Athens Free School, serves curious individuals and sympathetic readers interested in discussing and learning from revolutionary texts. ATHICA will host the club’s first series which focuses on Black Revolutionaries, meeting biweekly from March 30 through May 25.
- 2017 Southeastern Curry Expo & Murk Daddy Flex EP Release with Special Guests: Tuesday, April 4, 8-11pm
- Revolutionary Reading Club, Meeting 2: The Black Belt & Domestic Work. Thursday, April 13, 6–7pm
- Screening of Jim Herbert’s Carnival and Artist Panel. Satuday, April 22, 7-9 PM
- Michael Lauden Event Featuring Frank Hurricane. Sunday, April 23, 7-11 PM.
- Art Trivia Night at Normal Bar: Spring Fundraising Event, Wednesday, April 26, 7–10 PM
- Revolutionary Reading Club, Meeting 3: Black Power & The Black Panther Party. Thursday, April 27, 6–7pm
- Opening Reception: Domestic Structures: Atlanta & Athens Artists, Saturday, May 6, 6–9 PM
- Revolutionary Reading Club, Meeting 4: Black Feminism. Thursday, May 11, 5–6pm.
- Nasty Women Night of Action and Performance. Thursday, May 11, 6–9pm.
- Revolutionary Reading Club, Meeting 5: White Skin Privilege. Thursday, May 25, 6–7pm.
DOWN THE LINE
- Opening Reception: ATHICA Emerges XI. Saturday, June 17, 6–9 PM
- Opening Reception: Leticia Bejuyo, Solo Exhibition. Saturday, August 5, 6–9 PM
- Opening Reception: Third Annual Juried Exhibition. Saturday, September 23, 6–9 PM
- Cranial Offerings: A Fashion Show and Fundraising Event at Live Wire. Thursday, October 19, 7–10 PM
- Opening Reception: 2017 Members’ Exhibition. Saturday, December 2, 6–9 PM
- ATHICA Holiday Market and Chase Warehouses Open House. Saturday, December 9, 10 AM–5 PM